About this resource
Medicaid is the basic health insurance that is available to eligible current/former foster youth. The State of Oregon allows foster youth to remain on Medicaid until age 26, regardless of their income.
Click here for a PDF explaining Health Care to 26 (linked)
If you have questions, view this PDF for Frequently Asked Questions (linked)
You can download and print an application or have an application mailed to you.
- Request a paper application by calling OHP Customer Service at 1-800-699-9075 or 711 (TTY)
- Paper applications are available in multiple languages.
- Or you can complete it online at oregonhealthcare.gov
- Question 10 on page 16 will ask if you were in foster care on your 18th birthday.
- Write on your application at the top or front if true, "I am eligible for Medicaid because I was in foster care on or after my 18th birthday in Oregon State." Point this out to any application assister you work with.
After Completing Your Application Mail To:
Be sure to fill out all necessary pages and SIGN your application before sending.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires states to provide young adults under 26 with free health care if they were in foster care at age 18 or older. This ensures that former foster youth can access the health care services they need – just like non-foster youth who can stay on their parents’ insurance plans until 26.