About this resource

JBAY helps transitioning foster youth achieve housing stability by expanding access to supportive housing.

JBAY’s work has focused primarily on expanding access to the Transitional Housing Placement for Non-Minor Dependents (THP-NMD), which serves youth participating in extended foster care, age 18 to 21; and the state’s Transitional Housing Program-Plus (THP-Plus), which serves youth after they transition out of care up to age 25. Both programs provide semi-independent housing and a wide range of supportive services, including case management, job training, educational support, and counseling. JBAY also works to increase access to federal housing vouchers for former foster youth. This work spans across three strategies: expanding program access, improving policy and facilitating program evaluation.

Program Access

THP-NMD is a foster care placement licensed by the California Department of Social Services, and THP-Plus is a county-administered program. Both programs are most commonly operated by non-profit housing providers, or in some cases provided directly by county social services agencies.

Federal Housing Choice Vouchers for former foster youth are administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) through the Family Unification Program (FUP) and the Foster Youth to Independence (FYI) program. PHAs administer the vouchers locally and partner with their county child welfare agency which provides supportive services to youth with vouchers.

JBAY maintains rosters of all actively licensed and operating THP-NMD programs, all county-contracted THP-Plus programs, and all Public Housing Authorities throughout California, organized by county. JBAY also develops technical assistance publications for providers and county agencies.

THP-NMD Provider Roster


  • Be between the ages of 18 and 21
  • Have an order for foster care placement on their 18th birthday
  • Continue under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court as a dependent, ward or under transition jurisdiction
  • Agree to the following by signing the Mutual Agreement: Meet monthly with their social worker or probation officer and participate in 6-month review hearings. Meet one of the five participation conditions (see below)


  • Completing high school or equivalent program (i.e. GED) (enrollment is defined according to the definition employed by the school or program)

  • Enrolled in college or a vocational education program at least half-time (half-time enrollment as defined by the institution)

  • Participating in a program or activity designed to remove barriers to employment (this is the “safety net” category which is intended to bridge gaps in eligibility)

  • Employed at least 80 hours a month (this must be paid employment)

  • Unable to do one of the above requirements because of a documented medical condition

See the Eligibility Flyer

235 Montgomery Street, Suite 114
San Francisco, CA 94104
United States